Monday, April 18, 2011

Work Makeup

Hey guys,
Today I'm going to be talking about how to do your makeup for work. Now obviously you may have to switch it up a bit depending on your workplace. The thing I try to focus on when I get ready for work is long-lasting makeup with pretty but not super intense colors. I'm not going to go into skin care beforehand or how I do my hair.

1) Once I have given my face moisturizer time to set in (I try to do about ten minutes), I use a primer. The primer I use is the one I mentioned in my Sephora haul post. I really like this primer but if you have one that you feel works great for you, let me know! Next, I use my foundation brush (my brushes I mentioned in my cleaning makeup brushes post), and the foundation I use is L'Oreal Paris True Match in the shade N1 Soft Ivory. This is not the longest lasting foundation I have ever used but it is the foundation with the greatest shade variations and the one that matches my skin the best.


If you are looking for a long-lasting foundation I would recommend Maybelline SuperStay 24 hour foundation - I find that even the lightest shade is too dark for my skin but if you don't have super pale skin you should be alright. I have tried the Maybelline FitMe foundation and really didn't like it. It was super watery and the coverage just wasn't good.

2) My next step is concealer.

The concealer I use is L'oreal Paris True Match 16-Hour Infallible in Fair/Light. I apply it directly on my skin on any blemishes or dark circles and then I use my EcoTools Concealer Brush to blend it in.

3) Once I have applied both my foundation and concealer I use my MakeUp For Ever Mist and Fix to ensure that they will make it through the day. Even so, I sometimes bring my concealer for touch-ups throughout the day.

4) Last step in my base is a face powder.


I use Maybelline's Fit Me Powder (a product in the Fit Me line worth using!) in the lightest shade, 110. I know I have seen the fit me line on sale at a few places lately so it's worth checking out. I use a big bronzer brush to apply this all over, focusing on my T-zone which can get kind of oily. I like to start with a strong base because my skin is often red and blotchy because it's so fair and translucent so I want to make sure it's really covered up. Next I move onto the colors.

5) I find with the color of my skin a frosty/medium pink is really pretty looking.

The blush I use is actually part of a palette I got for Christmas. I know it was from Shoppers Drug Mart but I don't know what the brand is and it doesn't say anywhere on it anymore. This L'Oreal Paris True Match blush is the closest color I've found to it. I use a blush brush and focus on the apples and spread out a bit to my temples. This adds some color without going overboard. Sometimes I add bronzer too depending on what I feel like that day and the bronzer I use is Bonne Bell Blend and Glow.

6) Next I move onto my eyes. I like layering on lighter colors to add some depth without drowning my eyes. I don't really like dark colors even for nights out because they make my eyes look small and often turn into a smudgy mess. When doing my makeup for work I usually start with a champagne-y color from my palette.


Here is a color close to what I use, although the shade in my palette has a lot more sparkle. I apply this all over my lids, brow bone, inner corner and even lower lashline. Next I add a pink color to the lid.

This is about close to the color pink I would use. Very pretty. Finally, I may add either a bronze or a light pastel-y purple to the crease. I add a couple coats of mascara both on the top and bottom. The mascara I am using right now is LashBlast, but there are tons of great drugstore brands out there.

7) Time for lips! I struggled for awhile finding a lip product I really liked. I couldn't stand ones like ChapStick because I had to constantly reapply as they had no staying power. Victoria's Secret Beauty Rush lip glosses I was into for awhile but they were sooo sticky and if you walked somewhere when it was windy your hair would get stuck in your lip gloss. Finally I came across My Favorite Lip Balm (yes that is the actual name!) by C.O. Bigelow at Bath and Body Works. This is a clear, lightly scented lip gloss that stays on without being too sticky. I'm not sure if they still have this product as I didn't see it last time I was in one but if they do I would definitely recommend picking one up. I always bring my lip gloss to work with me to reapply.
8) Finally, if you're looking for something extra, my favorite line of nail polish is Sally Hansen. I love the Xtreme Wear and Insta-Dri. I actually have all of these colors except for orange and black. The color I am wearing at the moment is the pink at the end which is called Tickled Pink.



What work makeup do you guys where? Has it changed based on where you work? How do you make your makeup last through the day? What products do you bring with you?



1 comment: